Wednesday 21 September 2011

I want to take AP Calculus BC in 12th grade? But I cant?

These are the classes in my high school: (BTW I'm only in 8th grade.)



But first, you only take 3 math classes a year. The numbers next to the classes is how long they take. So if a class has this: (2), it takes 2 trimesters out of the 3 total.



Algebra 1(2)

Geometry(2)

Honors Geometry(2)

Algebra 2(2)

Honors Algebra 2(2)

Pre-Calc AB(2)

Pre-Calc BC(2)

Calc(2)

AP Calc AB(3)

AP Calc BC(3)



To get to AP Calc BC, you need to take any of the two Hon-Calc, to take that, you need to take Hon-Algebra 2, to take that, you need to take Hon Geometry. But in 9th grade I'm taking Algebra 1 and Geometry. I don't know what do to because I can't move to honors, but I am able to take AP Calc AB, but not BC. What do you think of this? And what can I do to make it so that I will be able to take BC? And in our high school, you can't change your class.
I want to take AP Calculus BC in 12th grade? But I cant?
Perhaps you can take algebra 1 and geometry but in some way have the school convert it to honors, by personally taking initiative with the teacher, you can do extra work and/or projects, and by the end of the year the school can evaluate if you can get into algebra 2.



However, depending on your motivation and interest in math, you can take pre-calc in lieu of algebra 2 especially if it's taught over 4 semesters. I have found there is a lot of overlap between algebra-algebra 2-precalc. With extra effort and perhaps a tutor, if you need one, in 2 years it is very possible to learn alegra (1 and 2), geometry and precalc(with trig).



Both calculus' are done in two years in high school, and in college they are done in only 1 year. Comparing those paces, it is not unreasonable to do all of algebra, trig and geometry in two years, especially if you double up the courses.