Friday 7 October 2011

I want to be friends with girl in my grade who also has eating disorder...would it be weird if i said this?

We're both 15, in the same resource class.i know she's anorexic and i've wanted to talk to her ever since 6th grade but i'm really shy and so is she.we're facebook friends tho! shes 5'1 87 pounds, i'm 5' 85 pounds. so, i went to a party with her this weekend. we kinda talked about our eating disorders, here's how it went...

they were talking about what u could change about your body if u could and i went first. i said i wanted to get my period and of course everyones like, %26quot;omg i can't believe u don't have it yet.%26quot; and %26quot;god, (my name), if u would eat food you'd probably get it.%26quot; so then i asked this girl,%26quot;do u have yours?%26quot; so she said yes but proceeded to talk about how she once didnt get it for 5 months and how she almost faints wen she does...so everyone told her she needed to eat too. then she talks about how she does eat and her eating has improved since the beginning of this year and then they start picking on me again, telling me how thin i am. i just kind of listen and say that i DO eat, just not much. the other girl tells me that i am really thin and need to eat...then we have a big long convo about our eating habits, this one emaciated girl in our grade, and we also talk about normal stuff like school, ice skating (which we did before the sleepover) and kids in our grade. ...

i'm afraid that we'll both b too shy to talk in school monday:(

was wondering if it would be good if i said somethin like this to her,

%26quot;Hey (name), I kinda wanted to tlk to you about something. It's ok if you don't want to talk about it but i was wondering if maybe we could talk about our eating habits. I don't really know anyone else who's going through what i am, so would it be cool if we could talk sometime?%26quot;
I want to be friends with girl in my grade who also has eating disorder...would it be weird if i said this?
yeah you should really talk to her about it. It would be good for both of you guys.



But I personally think that you should go about talking to her a bit differently, maybe say like %26quot;hey (name), did you have fun this weekend?%26quot; and just talk small talk, and then when you guys have talked just a bit say like %26quot;at the sleepover i noticed that everyone kept saying stuff about you and I having anorexia. They don't understand though, do you know what i mean?%26quot;.



Maybe you guys can help each other out ? :)
I want to be friends with girl in my grade who also has eating disorder...would it be weird if i said this?
Yes it's alright to do that. I struggled with and eating disorder for half of my life and I found that confiding in someone helps, but confiding in someone who understands your pain and what you're going through is even better.
that's perfectly fine to do that. it's very therapeutic to talk to other people who are going through the same thing as you, and just talking about it in general. you both have something in common and you're both nice, you both are going through the same thing...this is how you make friends, and it would be great for you guys to be friends with each other. so YES talk to her on monday!
That isn't weird at all, it's human nature to want to talk to someone who has something in common with you. In fact, I'll bet she feels the same way, even if she does push you away. Maybe if she's pushing you away she just needs some time alone, but if you haven't asked her yet, go for it. I mean, if you both talk about and solve this problem together, it can bring you a lot closer :)
Yes, be friends with this girl! What you are thinking of saying to her as an introduction sounds perfect. Sounds like you two have a lot in common and could help each other out. But I really, really, really hope that both of you seek out professional help for your disorders. You can kill yourself by depriving your body of proper nutrition. Why would you want to harm yourself in that way? Today's standards of %26quot;beauty%26quot; for women are soo unrealistic and unhealthy. What I think is beautiful is this: people who overcome their obstacles and love themselves enough to know when they are doing something harmful to themselves and need to stop.