Wednesday 26 October 2011

English teachers/writers?

need to write a %26quot;college essay%26quot; for a high school course. It's teaching us how to do one. We got to choose from about 50 prompts and I chose this one:

%26quot;Consider the books you have read in the last year or two either for school or for leisure. Please discuss the way in which one of them changed your understanding of the world, other people, or yourself.%26quot;



I'm writing about 1984 and how it changed my understanding of the world. I also need it to be persuasive and talk about myself somewhat but I'm not sure how to intertwine the two.



Here is all I have so far. Feel free to change anything/ fix spelling or grammer..PLEASE!



As part of my 11th grade English curriculum, I was assigned to read the novel 1984 by George Orwell. Immediately, I assumed the worst of this book; the title seemed dull, the topic seemed dull, and even my teacher鈥檚 explanation of the story was irksome. I must admit, I was entirely wrong. While the 1990鈥檚 were not exactly worry-free, as a child it was seemingly more tranquil than the world today. I become obsessed with understanding the comparisons between the twentieth century and the ignorance of my childhood. How was it that one man wrote a book so descriptive a world he would not live to see, yet I cannot grasp 18 years ago? This one book conveyed in 300 pages how truly contaminated the world around us is, and by doing so, made me question my own safety and freedom. After reading this book, I feel it is important to do my part in changing this course history has taken to better our future.
English teachers/writers?
That's a wonderful opening paragraph!

Basically from what I've learned writing all the essays that I've written is in persuasive writing the main idea to make it long and interesting is to totally BS the topic. It's your point of view, it doesn't matter what you write about, you could write how 1984 taught you a way to bake cakes that no one else has, as long as you persuade the reader to believe you.

I'm not good with punctuation I know, but I'm a very very persuasive writer. For our writing test to determine if you graduate or not we had to choose If we wanted the space exploration program to continue or not, and why. I chose to side with space exploration and one of my paragraphs for fun to see if I could get away with it was is that the moon could be turned into a resort facility because we have the technology readily available to, we just need to get kanye west up their to construct and build it because he is the only human being who knows how to construct such a structure in that environment. That was the idea for the paragraph, and 4 months later when I got the paper back I had the highest scores you could get in the idea category, and many other categories.

Just convince the reader to keep reading and you'll make a great grade!